Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The Girl Who Wore Armor

I started writing this story on the subway after a rant I had, either at work, or at a friend's house.... I kinda can't remember. Anyway it's about a girl who wakes up every morning and reads the news. She is frightened and disturbed by everything she sees until she can't get herself out of bed for days at a time, so she decides to go into the toxic junkyard behind her house and make herself some armor. After collecting all her materials, and starting her work, she nearly catches her house and the neighbor's houses on fire, and to make matters worse, she can't reach behind to weld the back plating on. She sets out to solicit help from her neighbors, who each have very legit reasons for not wanting to help her (ie: you're going to burn my house down and give me what in exchange? etc).

I'm currently looking for illustrators and folks who are connected with publishers who might be interested in the piece. I'm very happy with where it is and the themes and stuff, but am totally open to collaborative feedback and constructive criticism that will ultimately make the story stronger.

The themes are community based healing, trauma, and resilience in the face of oppression.

No comments:

Post a Comment